Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Back to the Future

It is humbling to admit that one of the most profound lessons I have been taught since arriving in Sedona is one that still rings in my ears from my earliest spiritual teaching in that small country church in Quincy, Indiana where I first came face to face with my creator. I have said already that my current learning helps to illuminate, to shed light on my childhood training. The lesson is simple and profound, and it is found at the core of every mystery school, every spiritual teaching, from Buddha to Jesus to Lao Tsu.

Rev. Mark drums this lesson into us week after week: "Turn unto me, and I will turn unto thee." That's all it is; and it does not get more profound. It is the cry of the Old Testament prophet, but it runs contrary to nearly everything we have been taught lately: that we can control our world with our thoughts. I have been practicing the latter part of this for decades, only to watch much of the world I created fall into shambles. The key to this lesson is surrender, giving up, throwing in the towel, turning the circumstances of your world over to the invisible, the unseen, God, however we can imagine Him/Her.

It almost sounds like cheating, though it is much easier to say than to do. We have been conditioned away from this truth, even by the health and wealth churches that promise you can change your situation with your attitude. It is the classic leap of faith; keeping in mind that to turn toward God you must take your eyes off the heavens and go inward. It is the divine part of your true self that actually communes, communicates with and observes the Almighty.

Every difficult situation I can think of, would have been served better by surrendering to it: by just letting it be. If I could internalize this one lesson, it would make my quest here complete. I'll let you know how it goes.

Love, John

No comments:

Post a Comment